Friday, December 02, 2005

It's Official: I Don't Like Auckland

And that's why I'm sitting here at a computer yet again. I'd rather take refuge here in the lovely confines of the Bamber House than be out and about in this lame city.

It's only been a day and I already miss Australia greatly. Auckland, as I've explained previously, is just another big city. And I mentioned earlier that most of the locals are friendly, well, now I'm going to reveal my ugly racist/xenophobic side: The Maori and white Kiwis are friendly. Most of the immigrants I've encountered, including American expats, are dour and unfriendly. Maybe they moved here because of the beautiful surroundings and the friendliness and warmth of the locals, but they sure haven't assimilated. My last bus driver: Miserable middle eastern asshole who hates his life. My pharmacist: slow, dumb American who must be my crazy landlord's long lost son. My grocery clerk: rushed, unfriendly Asian who hasn't learned how to say "Hi" and "How are you?" back to people.

I never would've imagined that I'd be missing Australians for their manners.

On the other hand, the Kiwis who've been friendly have megawatt smiles and a demeanor that can melt the heart of any misanthrope, myself included. I hope to meet more of that type as I head south tomorrow. Auckland's about as appealing as Oakland at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment